Moving to new core/platform

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Moving to new core/platform

Post  Admin on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:52 am

In case you guys don't know, our server is using Mangos as its core engine. Anyone who's paying attention to Mangos movement would know that recently there's been a split in the developer's community. Some developers move into a new project called Trinity. Are they better? I don't know, one thing I noticed that they fix things a lot a faster than Mangos and the core seems to be stable enough (Coz it's a fork from Mangos)..

I'm tempted to move to Trinity but here's the problem, to allow a clean and stable server I need a clean start which means everything will be wiped and everyone start from zero again including me Smile

I guess all of you will say "NO WAY!!!!" but Trinity seems promising because they seem to move a lot faster in adding features and fixing bugs..

So there, I just thought I mention it to you guys, please let me know your thoughts...

Cheers.. Smile


Last edited by Admin on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Posts : 918
Join date : 2008-03-24

View user profile http://blackcat.pureforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving to new core/platform

Post  psychicboy on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:29 am

Wipe!? NO WAY!!!

Is there a way to backup of our accounts so we dont have to start from scratch? And YOU start from scratch I don't think so, since everytime you make a character you start at lvl 60 lol.

psychicboy

Posts : 49
Join date : 2008-04-21
Age : 32

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving to new core/platform

Post  Admin on Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:26 am

psychicboy wrote:Wipe!? NO WAY!!!

Is there a way to backup of our accounts so we dont have to start from scratch? And YOU start from scratch I don't think so, since everytime you make a character you start at lvl 60 lol.
LOL - I know you're gonna say that Ulvos Razz If we were to move to new platform, EVERYBODY and I mean EVERYBODY has to start from scratch including me. This simply because the new core might have different character DB structure and boosting everyone to level 60 might not be the wisest thing to do..

Anyway, no need to panic, I just want to hear everybody's opinion. I haven't done anything yet..

Just to let you all know what are the major things that are available in the new core/platform,
- Arena
- Outdoor PvP (Capturing towers, Halaa, etc)
- World Game Events

I don't know when those things will be included in the current core/platform, the new one have this from initial release..

If you guys are fine with the way things are and willing to wait for new features then we don't have to move..


Last edited by Admin on Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:30 am; edited 3 times in total

Admin
Admin

Posts : 918
Join date : 2008-03-24

View user profile http://blackcat.pureforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving to new core/platform

Post  Kevin Smith on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:38 am

Wipe ?
Start from scratch ??

/gquit !!!! :p

But seriously, IMO we should just wait, it won't be that long till WoTLK will be released by the Mangos/Trinity dev I guess (3 month-ish ?).

Dont see any reason why we should move to another platform when next expansion is coming soon, wouldn't know which platform would work better with the new expansion at this moment, right ?

Just wait and see is my 2 cents..

Kevin Smith
Officers

Posts : 132
Join date : 2008-03-26
Location : BKAC (Between Keyboard And Chair) :p

View user profile http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/Valaluveang/Posters/

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving to new core/platform

Post  Admin on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:58 am

Kevin Smith wrote:Wipe ?
Start from scratch ??

/gquit !!!! :p

But seriously, IMO we should just wait, it won't be that long till WoTLK will be released by the Mangos/Trinity dev I guess (3 month-ish ?).

Dont see any reason why we should move to another platform when next expansion is coming soon, wouldn't know which platform would work better with the new expansion at this moment, right ?

Just wait and see is my 2 cents..

Point taken, thanks matey Smile Hope to bump into you in server soon..

Admin
Admin

Posts : 918
Join date : 2008-03-24

View user profile http://blackcat.pureforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving to new core/platform

Post  reeborn on Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:03 am

if PVP is the main reason then i will vote for no ...because iam a PVE-oriented player ..hehehe...eventho arena is very tempting...but starting from zero O.o

OOT: we should have a sub forum for discussing raid boss strategy..what do u think elf?

reeborn
Officers

Posts : 76
Join date : 2008-08-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving to new core/platform

Post  Admin on Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:28 am

reeborn wrote:
...
OOT: we should have a sub forum for discussing raid boss strategy..what do u think elf?...
Sounds good Smile although most strategy can be searched at http://www.wowwiki.com Wink

Admin
Admin

Posts : 918
Join date : 2008-03-24

View user profile http://blackcat.pureforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving to new core/platform

Post  HenryK on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:15 am

Well...eversince RO, I always dislike PvP..since most high level always unfair, but WoW is different...OK..WoW making a new aspect that they have to force us to do PvP to have better access to equipment. But as what ree said, if PvP becomes what is the most appealing point of switching from Mangos to Trinity, I will vote for no. I am PvE player XD also (high 5, Ree =P)...But starting from scratch, don't think to be a good idea though.,unless you can have some way to back our data up or find info if character DB in Mangos is transferrable to Trinity?, just wait for other opinion first then can vote on what to do..

HenryK
Officers

Posts : 121
Join date : 2008-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving to new core/platform

Post  Kevin Smith on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:33 am

All in favor of PvE ??

ZOMGWTFPWNBBQ !!! CAREBEARS !!!! lol!

<-- Carebears too, lol.


Anyways, just in case you decided/tempted to make the switch soon, please remember Elf, all of my toons are already lvl 79, and are all clad in T7 gears have the appropriate T7 weapons/trinkets/etc... santa


Oh, all the other toons/characters/members (aside from you !) in this server are lvl 60 at the most, and are only using various green gears.

So please kindly reset all the characters in the server/DB to the spec I've mentioned above and we should have no problems at all Very Happy



PS :
If anyone else tries to say that their toons are > lvl 60 and/or have > green gears, they're lying !!!
DON'T TRUST ANYONE ELSE BUT ME !!! Twisted Evil

/evilgrins

/runs&hides

Kevin Smith
Officers

Posts : 132
Join date : 2008-03-26
Location : BKAC (Between Keyboard And Chair) :p

View user profile http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/Valaluveang/Posters/

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving to new core/platform

Post  reeborn on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:32 pm

Kevin Smith wrote:All in favor of PvE ??

ZOMGWTFPWNBBQ !!! CAREBEARS !!!! lol!

<-- Carebears too, lol.


Anyways, just in case you decided/tempted to make the switch soon, please remember Elf, all of my toons are already lvl 79, and are all clad in T7 gears have the appropriate T7 weapons/trinkets/etc... santa


Oh, all the other toons/characters/members (aside from you !) in this server are lvl 60 at the most, and are only using various green gears.

So please kindly reset all the characters in the server/DB to the spec I've mentioned above and we should have no problems at all Very Happy



PS :
If anyone else tries to say that their toons are > lvl 60 and/or have > green gears, they're lying !!!
DON'T TRUST ANYONE ELSE BUT ME !!! Twisted Evil

/evilgrins

/runs&hides

ROFL

reeborn
Officers

Posts : 76
Join date : 2008-08-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving to new core/platform

Post  Admin on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:53 pm

I won't change then, but I don't want to hear anyone complaining why we don't have this or that, etc Wink

BTW Kevin, can you drag Xian/Peny/Warz back to the server? I know it'll be an epic effort, much appreciated if you can do that.. I think now we have the right numbers to do proper raid..

Cheers Smile

Admin
Admin

Posts : 918
Join date : 2008-03-24

View user profile http://blackcat.pureforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving to new core/platform

Post  reeborn on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:32 pm

Admin wrote:I won't change then, but I don't want to hear anyone complaining why we don't have this or that, etc Wink

BTW Kevin, can you drag Xian/Peny/Warz back to the server? I know it'll be an epic effort, much appreciated if you can do that.. I think now we have the right numbers to do proper raid..

Cheers Smile

i want to complain why my toon is not fully geared with T6 .. XD

btw, we went to kara last nite, but we didnt kill any boss ....too laggy

reeborn
Officers

Posts : 76
Join date : 2008-08-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving to new core/platform

Post  Admin on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:43 pm

reeborn wrote:...
btw, we went to kara last nite, but we didnt kill any boss ....too laggy
How many people? Where were you up to?

Admin
Admin

Posts : 918
Join date : 2008-03-24

View user profile http://blackcat.pureforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving to new core/platform

Post  reeborn on Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:30 am

Admin wrote:
reeborn wrote:...
btw, we went to kara last nite, but we didnt kill any boss ....too laggy
How many people? Where were you up to?

6 poeple .... wiped at the horse...was very laggy

reeborn
Officers

Posts : 76
Join date : 2008-08-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving to new core/platform

Post  Admin on Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:42 am

I'll try building another server on Linux, maybe Mangos is not meant to be run on Windows.. will let you all know when it's done..

Admin
Admin

Posts : 918
Join date : 2008-03-24

View user profile http://blackcat.pureforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving to new core/platform

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum